Friday, April 10, 2009

Christ, Our Life

John 1:1-5 - In the beginning was the Word [Christ Jesus], and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

The Light, shining down into our darkness. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it. (John 1:4-5, above). More literally, a view from the highway paralleling the western (Israeli) side of the Jordan River.

In Him Was Life
(If you’re not sure about Christ, or what He has to offer you, read the section below, ‘The Light of Men,’ first.)

Colossians 3:3-4: For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

Philippians 1:21: For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

In Him was life (John)
Your life is hidden with Christ in God (Colossians)
Christ, who is your life(Colossians)
To live is Christ (Philippians)

The message seems clear: We find life in Christ. But what is 'life'? Life is not Christ-likeness; it is not being gentle and forgiving, nor is it in the struggle to be so. True life, the deepest riches, is in Christ himself. It is Him giving us life in a whole new way, pouring his love into us second by second, perhaps only because we begged for it.

John quotes Jesus later on, (John 10:3), “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”

I don’t have life to the full, nor do I think most Christians do, regardless of their 'maturity.' I have experienced the edges of it in the past and want it now, but it seems so elusive! Yet Christ must want it for me - us - as well, since John quotes it as a reason that Jesus came to earth and leaves the possibility open to all people. No fine print reserves it for those who have attained a certain maturity or exercised substantial effort using their gifts. Apparently Christ wants us to have life to the full, and he wants it badly – no matter who or what you are.

The prison where Jesus may have been held. I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. He sacrificed a lot for us to have it.

To me that abundant life is Christ pouring His love into me every moment, and it renders my standard Christian life a mere shell of what Christ wants for me. So why can't I have it? I don't have the answers - I doubt very many people do - but I believe Christ gives to us in proportion to what we give to Him. At an extreme level, the person that believes in God but doesn't follow Him with any particular effort is less likely to get God's extreme blessings than the child that abandons all.

As an example of this principle, Luke 6:36-38: Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured to you.

And so I wonder - does this 'life to the full' only come with our greatest gift to God, given consistently - radical obedience, complete surrender and the words, "Christ, I want you at any cost. Take my family, take my job, take my reputation - only give me You"? (I am not saying 'given consistently' in terms of years necessary to develop maturity, but time enough to indicate it isn't a passing fancy.)

My second suspicion is that it comes after constant conversation with Jesus, where even our smallest joys, struggles and frustrations are communicated to Him. Where every desire is taken to Him - including the desire for Christ Himself. "Please, Jesus!" we cry out. "Give me more of You." And then, "Moooore, please!" And later still we pound the bed in frustration, "I want yet more! The cost doesn't matter. Only give me You!"

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." (Matthew 7:7-8)

John 1:4a, above - "In him was life..."


Study Questions
1. Do you want Christ at all? If you’re not sure, or don’t think so, see the section below.

2. Do you want Christ at any cost? Many Christians don’t – but the more of Christ you ask for, the more life you receive. If not, what are you unwilling to give up and why?

3. Do you believe you can have life to the full without a heart that says, “Christ, I want you at any cost”?


Back to Basics: The Light of Men
In him was life, and that life was the light of men.

Christ, our life, was the Light of men, says John. A light in what sense?

“I don’t know what to do next.”
“I don’t know how to forgive her.”
“I feel like there’s no purpose to my life, and don’t know how to find one.”
“It’s a lose-lose situation.”
“What’s the point?”
“Counseling hasn’t worked.”
“I can’t stand this bitterness inside of me, but I can’t get rid of it.”
“I’m living my parents expectations, not my dreams. It’s all so meaningless!”

Christ is the Light that guides us out of these situations and gives us answers. He knows what you should do next, can help you forgive her, gives you a purpose, and finds a ‘win’ in the lose-lose situation.

In short, he can help you with each of these situations, because He is the Light of the world - the Son of God, born as a human baby, crucified to pay the price for all our sins and risen forever. He longs for you to surrender your life to Him and let Him, the Light, guide you through every perplexity and trial.


Back to Basics Study Questions
1. Is this Light of the world, Jesus Christ, who wants to be the Light of your life, of any interest to you? If not, why not?

2. What situation could you pray about, to discover whether Jesus might be relevant to your needs and struggles?

3. Where might you find a church to learn more about this Light, Jesus Christ?

Back to Basics References
If you're not sure whether you even believe in Jesus, I recommend 'The Case for Christ,' by Lee Strobel.

If you're not familiar with the basics of Christianity, and for more suggestions on relevant books, see 'Back to Basics,' in my next blog, 'Unrecognized Savior.'

No comments: